Five or Six

Posted by on Feb 9, 2009 in Uncategorized | 1 comment

This week I’ll begin seeing my OB every week. Did I tell you that I switched?  Because I am slightly neurotic and couldn’t bring myself to get over the fact that I was going to deliver at a hospital where I had very little confidence in the nursing staff?  And not the OB nurses.  I know nothing of them.  It’s technically the ER that leaves me shaking, but there’s that part of me that thinks “if they don’t have the best of the best in the highest pressure situations, why should I think they’ve got high standards in the rest of their departments?”  And that’s just the tip of the giant iceberg-o-nuts.  When the OB I was seeing started pushing me to his new PA for every visit without so much as a word and then moved his office to a less convenient location, I walked. And then I fretted. And considered driving to Dallas for my appointments and delivery just so that I could have my beloved doctor and hospital back. And then I woke up from insane daydreams and started quietly asking for some names from people I trust, one of them being a friend who just recently delivered a baby boy that is so tiny and delicious I have to restrain myself from shoving spoonfuls of him into my mouth.  She raved about her doc and off I went.  She is right.  He is great, but his office is still slightly under par, in my obviously judgmental opinion.  

Case in point:

Last week I got a funky infection in my nose.  It started happening from time to time after my sceptoplasty in 95 at the place where the brace was sewn through my septum. It usually clears up with some OTC salve but this time didn’t.  I called the OB because, in my limited experience, I’ve found that doctors like to be the only one prescribing you things and diagnosing your ills. I spoke with one of the nurses.  She said she’d call back.  I didn’t hear back until the next day (I called in the AM, so this was annoying.  If it’s 3pm or later, I get the next day follow up.  But I waited all day for them to call with what should happen and got nothing).  When she did call back she told me that I didn’t have voicemail.  I told her that I do have a machine so that couldn’t be it.  She told me that it was busy.  Totally possible if she called my land line because we only have that to save on the cell phone minutes and for babysitters to use in case they need to call 911.  We don’t have call waiting, but a busy signal on my land line didn’t preclude them from calling my cell phone and I am sure that number is in my chart.  I am positive they have ALL our numbers.  So, anyway, after not calling back until the next day, she tells me that she didn’t talk to MY doctor but that she spoke with a different doc in the office who said I should see a primary care person.  I don’t mind that at all.  I love my primary care lady. She is tops, but I just kind of have that sneaking suspicion that the nurse didn’t talk with anyone.  That she realized she didn’t get back in touch with me and then just told me to go somewhere else. Perhaps the tone of the calls played a factor or perhaps I am just incredibly distrustful of people in general.  Either way, it left a slightly acidic taste in my mouth.  But the doctor himself?  So far, he is the best I’ve seen in this town.  We’ll be getting to know him much more over the next few weeks. 

In the meantime, the past two nights I’ve had the best sleep I’ve had in months.  This is due to some unknown cosmic shift, my refusal to allow myself a nap at anytime of the day and a lovely drug called Protonix.  It took a while to find something to tame this acid reflux beast, but this was the last thing on the list of the strong stuff to try and I am so thankful for those tiny yellow pills that have shut down my acid pumps.  I heart you, nerdy scientist people who love to make drugs the legal way! 

BehBeh #2 is all elbows and knees and fist punches and karate chops right now.  I thought she’d be out of room for all of these dramatic movements by now, but she seems to be getting more and more angry at my right side every day.  Or perhaps she attempting to exit womb right.  The burrowing action she attempted the other day makes me think it is the latter. We shall see. 

There really isn’t any other news these days than the normal grind of life. A friend is leaving for Africa soon and we are going to miss her terribly. Some more friends of ours are pregnant and we are unbelievably excited for them (there is nothing quite like the joy of parenting to make you want everyone to join in on the fun). I’m still looking for a long box of fake wheat grass to put on my mantle (although I did add a nice candlestick to the left side…still searching for the right candle).  We’ve had gorgeous weather the past few days and I am loving that it rained today (rain! like it’s spring or something!) after Jud and I saw a robin on our fence this morning.  See?  Blissfully normal.

One Comment

  1. so glad you found something to help with the heartburn 🙂 it makes such a difference, doesn’t it?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *